Signs and causes of a leaking shower
A leaking shower is a common household problem and chances are you have experienced it at least once. Perhaps, you’re here because you are experiencing one already. Fixing this problem as soon as it is detected will not only help you save on the water bill, but it will also prevent water wastage and damage in your home.
Signs That Your Shower is Leaking
Shower leaks can be as obvious as water forming and dripping from around the shower taps. Sometimes, though, a shower may leak in places that are not visible to the eye. It may be happening beneath the bathroom floors or behind the shower wall. If you suspect that your shower is leaking, check for the following signs:
- Water seeping from the tile grout; in some cases, wall and floor grout may be missing
- Tile and grout discolouration, especially in and around the shower area
- Tiles getting lifted off its place
- Buckling or uneven floors
- Dampness and blistering or flaking paint on walls
- Dampness of the floor and the presence of water stain on the ceiling below the bathroom
- Gaps in the floor and wall joints due to water build-up
- Persistent mould or mildew in and around the shower area
- Moisture and musty smell on carpets and woods due to accumulated old water
- Cramming bathroom door
Common Causes of Shower Leaks
There are many factors at play as to why a shower leaks. Knowing where the root of the leak originates is the first step to solving this problem. It may happen from one source, but it is also possible that it happens from two (or more) related sources. For example, a water leak from pipes hidden behind the shower wall may damage the tiles and grout in front of it, therefore creating another source of leakage.
Leaking shower may stem from the following areas:
1. Unstable shower tray
Movement to this area may cause it to shift and pull the silicone sealant off the surface. This may also result in grout cracks at the bottom row of wall tiles adjacent to the shower tray. This happens because of a faulty shower tray that moves when a load is applied. Defective floorboards and joists beneath the tray may also contribute to this problem.
2. Leaky faucet or drain
Leaking shower may be caused by a leaky faucet due to worn-out rubber gasket, O-ring, springs, washer, and valves. The shower drain may also be causing leaks when the rubber gasket is damaged, or the sealant has cracked up, causing the water to seep through.
3. Faulty seal trims
Trims are usually fitted where the tray and the wall tiles meet. Over time, the trims may become distorted due to repeated exposure to heat and strong cleaning solutions. This creates a gap where water can seep and leak.
4. Poor quality sealant
A good quality sealant provides a strong bond, while a cheap sealant adheres poorly to the surface. The shoddy bond eventually gets undone, allowing the water to collect behind it. It is also important to point out that you could be using a good sealant yet still end up with leaking problems because of poor preparation.
5. Incorrect or damaged grouting
Tiles loosen or lift off from its place may point out a common problem for water leaks: grout issues. It could be that the grout used was not waterproof.
Standard powdered grout is not a good choice for bathroom application as it can be porous and water-absorbent. Powdered grout gets damaged when exposed to water, especially if not finished off with a grout seal. Epoxy grout works best for showers, or any other waterproof grout with a good grout sealer for finishing.
6. Improperly installed (or worn out) Supply Pipes
The water pressure from improperly installed pipes can cause it to crack or burst. Improperly fitted waste pipes may also shift along with the improperly fitted shower tray. These scenarios all lead to water leaks in the shower.
7. Shower tray and tile cracks
The cracks originating from outside physical force such as a blow from a hard object may also contribute to shower leaks. These cracks, no matter how small, allow water to seep through the gap.
Dangers of Shower Leaks
Whenever water leaks occur, the first concern that you will typically have is about the wastage. Then, you think of how much this water wastage can add to your water bills. But there are more to these than meets the eye:
- Shower leaks do structural damage to your home. It does not only cause unsightly stains on your walls and ceiling. When left unfixed for a long time, water damage can get absorbed and eat into your floors and walls. It can weaken your house and cause considerable damage that can be quite costly to fix.
- Shower leaks attract termites. Damp and rotting areas are where termites thrive. It gives them the perfect environment to nest. Termites will invade and damage your home’s wooden structures like frames, joists, and rafters. Again, damages to these areas can be costly to repair, not to mention how pest extermination service can cost a lot, as well.
- Shower leaks can create a condition that may pose health hazards and accident risks. Water that collects on the floor may cause slip accidents. Mould growth happens not only in your bathroom but also in other areas of the house where water damage may extend. This can result in a host of health issues, including respiratory illnesses, eye and skin irritation, nasal congestion, and a weakened immune system.
Get Your Leaking Shower Fixed ASAP!
Don’t let shower leaks sit for long; deal with it before it causes more damange. When shower leaks happen, it may be time for waterproofing, shower sealing, or regrouting, depending on where the problem lies.
At Complete Shower Seal, you won’t have to worry so much about this — you can leave it to the hands of the experts. With 20 years of competent service in the industry, our workmanship is next to none. Experience the best bathroom and shower resealing service in Newcastle. Contact us today or get a free quote.